Wednesday 14 August 2013

How indications are given in England

      Yesterday was told me I would have worked in a new area of the Olympic Park, an area just converted from simple parking to parking with some raised beds. They call it SC21. Does it say something to you? No? Neither to me. I asked were it was and my Manager told me that it was on the border of the Park, in front of the Cow Pub. Good, I knew the same than before. Pubs, venues and shops, buildings in general don't make an impression on me. I had seen that pub many and many times I realized later, but I didn't remember it.
      -I have no idea-, I said. -I don't notice pubs and shops. Tell me about a tree and maybe I understand, but I don't remember pubs.
      -It isn't good-, stepped-in a member of my team. -It's with pubs that we give indication here.
      -I know. Indeed I always get lost in London.
      The Pub, or Public House, is an essential place in Briton's lives. Living in houses that are small and uncomfortable, conceived just like shelter for the night where rarely they invite guests, the Britons spend the most part of socializing hours at the Pub. Friends, colleagues and sometimes, apparently, even relatives are met at the Pub. It's hard they let them in home. Probably the Pub is the evolution of the Common Building typical of many settlements in North Europe, that big building which stood at the village center and was used for every public event and more. From this the importance of the Pub in the British culture.
      They don't use the Pubs just for indication. Once I asked to a coworker commuting from the countryside how much big his community was. The answer was: -There are 4 or 5 pubs.

      I looked on internet for a pubs/inhabitants converter but I didn't find it. Is someone of you able to convert it? Since I don't still know how much that community was.

No comments:

Post a Comment